Interested in joining the AAVN? Please fill out the American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition Membership Application Form.
Who may become a member of the AAVN?
- Nutrition/animal scientists (Masters or PhD)
- Graduate students (MSc or PhD candidates) studying animal nutrition at a University
- Veterinarians, interns, residents, and veterinary students
- Registered veterinary technicians (RVT) and RVT students
- Allied health professionals (e.g. industry representatives who are not veterinarians, technicians, or nutritionists; human medical doctors; human dietitians)
Categories of Membership:
- Active members:
- Veterinarians with an interest in nutrition and are members in good standing with the AVMA or similar foreign veterinary association or,
- Nutrition/animal scientists or members of an allied health profession with an interest in animal nutrition, or
- Registered veterinary technicians who have an interest in veterinary nutrition and are members in good standing with their national technician organization.
- Student members enrolled in a school/college of veterinary medicine, veterinary technology, or course of study in animal science.
- Veterinary interns, residents, and graduate students (Masters or PhD candidates) will be included in the student category.
- Proof of enrollment in your program of study must be provided upon request.
- Retired membership is open to anyone who has previously been an active member of the AAVN and who is no longer actively engaged in the profession on a full, part-time, or consulting basis.
- Retired members are not eligible to hold office.
- Please contact the AAVN’s Executive Director to determine if you qualify for retired membership status.
- Life membership can be granted to any person who has been a long-standing member of the AAVN and has made significant contributions to the organization. See below for a list of life members.
- Nominations for life members can be directed to the AAVN’s Executive Director along with a letter of nomination.
- Honorary membership will be bestowed on distinguished individuals who have made a significant contribution to animal nutrition.
AAVN Member Benefits:
AAVN members enjoy the following benefits:
- Annual AAVN Clinical Nutrition & Research Symposium
- Reduced registration fee
- Opportunity to attend the annual membership meeting at the Symposium
- Opportunity to submit research abstracts for consideration at the Symposium
- Access to a PDF version of the proceedings following the Symposium
- Access to writing competitions
- AAVN Listserv access
- Stimulating discussions on current hot topics
- Postings for jobs or training programs (e.g. residency programs)
- Opportunity to submit an article or book review, thoughtful commentary, or summary of your own research publication for consideration as part of our periodic E-newsletter
- Members-only access on the AAVN website
- Membership directory
- AAVN Constitution and By-Laws
- Minutes from the AAVN annual business meetings
- Minutes from AAVN executive meetings
The membership year is from July 1 until June 30 each year. Dues are not prorated. Here are the membership dues for July 1, 2017 until June 30, 2018:
- Active members: $60.00 USD
- Retired members: $30.00 USD
- Student members: Exempt from paying dues with proof of enrollment
- 1st year following graduation: Exempt from paying dues
- 2nd year following graduation: $30.00 USD
- Life and Honorary members: Exempt from paying dues
- A late fee of $10.00 USD will be applied to dues received after July 1, 2017
Membership Application Form: American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition Membership Application Form
Online membership renewal is available each year from April until the beginning of June. Online renewal will open in April 2018 and will be announced via the AAVN Listserv.
AAVN Life Members:
- Tony Buffington
- Dave Dzanis
- Michael Hand
- Francis Kallfelz
- Dottie Laflamme
- Ben Norman
- Rebecca Remillard
- Quinton Rogers
- Robert Van Saun