The AAVN is proud to have a number of approved AAVN Student Chapters. AAVN Student Chapters have a number of great benefits! Please see below for more details or contact Dr. Martha Cline for more information!
Benefits of Becoming an AAVN Student Chapter:
- Annual AAVN Clinical Nutrition & Research Symposium
- Reduced registration fee for all AAVN student members
- Opportunity to apply for travel grants of up to $500 USD for one student member from each AAVN Student Chapter to represent their school at the Symposium
- AAVN Student Chapter recipients of the travel grant will be required to attend the annual business meeting & members’ luncheon
- In-person AAVN Student Chapter meeting with AAVN Executive members following the Symposium
- Access to a PDF version of the proceedings following the Symposium
- Access to writing competitions with monetary prizes
- Social media
- Networking with members of other AAVN Student Chapters through the AAVN Student Chapter Facebook page (closed group)
- Regular opportunities to interact with members of the AAVN Student Member Committee
- AAVN Listserv access
- Networking opportunities
- Stimulating discussions on current hot topics
- Postings for jobs or training programs (e.g. residency programs)
- Opportunity to submit news, information, photos and updates on Student Chapter activities for consideration in the periodic E-newsletter
- Members only access on the AAVN website
- List of AAVN speakers with topics
- AAVN membership directory for networking with other members
- AAVN Constitution and Bylaws
- Minutes from the AAVN annual business meetings
- Minutes from AAVN executive meetings
Requirements for AAVN Student Chapters:
All AAVN Student Chapters are required to have a constitution that addresses membership, dues/finances, advisors, officers, elections, and meetings (click here for a sample template). Please follow the AAVN Student Chapter constitution template as a guide. Bylaws may be included as a separate document. Bylaws are intended to expand the constitution and provide guidelines on governance.
Examples of AAVN Student Chapter constitutions/bylaws:
Current AAVN Student Chapters:
|AAVN Student Chapter||Current President||Contact Information|
|Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island||Small Animal – Genevieve Machum
Large Animal – Gillian Gwartz
|Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario||Amy Capraroemail@example.com|
|GRAND CAYMAN ISLAND|
|School of Veterinary Medicine, St. Matthews University, Grand Cayman Island||Inactive||–|
|UNITED STATES OF AMERICA|
|College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado||Nora Jean Nealonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York||Kristina Kronaueremail@example.com|
|College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas||Inactive||–|
|College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina||Michele Dickfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University, North Grafton, Massachusetts||Inactive||–|
|Ross University, School of Veterinary Medicine, St. Kitts, West Indies||Inactive||–|
Student Chapter Travel Grants:
Each active AAVN Student Chapter will have the opportunity to apply for a travel grant of up to $500 USD for one student member to represent their school at the Annual AAVN Clinical Nutrition & Research Symposium. The Symposium registration fee is also waived for all Student Chapter representatives. Dr. Jessica Harris, AAVN Vice President, will contact all active AAVN Student Chapters in spring 2018 with further details.
The AAVN Student Chapter recipients of the travel grant will be required to attend the annual business meeting & members’ luncheon. Lunch will be provided free of charge to Student Chapter representatives.
There will also be an AAVN Student Chapter meeting with AAVN Executive members following the Symposium. This is an opportunity to network with other Student Chapter representatives and to voice suggestions or concerns to the Student Member Committee.
Receipts up to $500 USD must be submitted for reimbursement to Dr. Rebecca Mullis, AAVN Treasurer, at email@example.com, 60 days following the Symposium.