Interested in joining the AAVN? Please fill out the American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition Registration Form.
If you are attending the 20th Annual AAVN Clinical Nutrition and Research Symposium you can renew your membership online when you register for the symposium. Registration opens April 2020!
Who may become a member of the AAVN?
AAVN membership is open to the following categories of professionals who have an interest in animal nutrition (Interpreted within the context of Article 4, Section 1 of the AAVN By-Laws):
- Veterinary students currently enrolled in a veterinary college
- Veterinary technicians/nurses
- Veterinary technician/nursing students currently enrolled in a veterinary technology college
- Nutritionists and scientists with an academic degree in the field of animal nutrition, animal science, human nutrition, or a similar relevant field
- College and university students currently enrolled in an academic program in the field of animal nutrition, animal science, human nutrition, or a similar relevant field
- Employees or consultants with relevant credentials (see above) and experience working in the field of animal nutrition, pet food, animal feed, pharmaceuticals, or allied industries
Categories of Membership:
- Active members shall be:
- Veterinarians who have an interest in any aspect of veterinary or animal nutrition (practice, teaching, industry, regulation, etc.), or
- Nutritionists or animal scientists who have an interest in any aspect of veterinary or animal nutrition, or
- Veterinary Technicians/Nurses who have an interest in veterinary or animal nutrition.
- Student members shall be enrolled in a school/college of veterinary medicine or technology or studying in a department of animal science.
- Veterinary interns, residents, and graduate students (Masters or PhD candidates) shall be included in the Student category.
- Proof of enrollment in your program of study must be provided upon request.
- Retired membership is open to anyone who has previously been an Active member and who is no longer actively engaged in the practice of veterinary or animal nutrition on a full or part-time basis.
- He/she must have been an Active member for at least 10 years.
- Retired members may not vote or hold office.
- An individual wishing to be considered for the retired membership classification must send a letter to the Executive Director and request retired status.
- Life membership may be granted to any person who has been a member of the Academy for 20 or more years.
- Life membership may be granted by the Executive Board or upon written request of the membership for review by the Executive Board
- Honorary membership may be granted by the Executive Board to distinguished persons who have contributed to the advancement of veterinary nutrition.
AAVN Member Benefits:
AAVN members enjoy the following benefits:
- Annual AAVN Clinical Nutrition & Research Symposium
- Reduced registration fee
- Opportunity to attend the annual membership meeting at the Symposium
- Opportunity to submit research abstracts for consideration at the Symposium
- Access to a PDF version of the proceedings following the Symposium
- AAVN Listserv access
- Stimulating discussions on current hot topics
- Postings for jobs or training programs (e.g. residency programs)
- Opportunity to submit an article or book review, thoughtful commentary, or summary of your own research publication for consideration as part of our periodic E-newsletter
- Social media
- Follow the AAVN on Facebook
- Members-only access on the AAVN website
The membership year is from July 1 until June 30 each year. Dues are not prorated. Here are the membership dues for July 1, 2019 until June 30, 2020:
- Active members: $85.00 USD (if paid on or before June 30, 2019) or $100.00 USD (after June 30, 2019)
- NOTE: The Executive Board would like to encourage members to pre-pay for 5 years or 10 years in advance. Those members who take advantage of this opportunity can prepay using the rate of $85/year x 5 years ($425.00) or $85/year x 10 years ($850.00).
- Membership Application Form: American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition Registration Form
- NOTE: Online membership renewal is available each year from April until the beginning of June. Online renewal will open in April 2020 and will be announced via the AAVN Listserv.
- Retired members: $42.50 USD
- Student members: Exempt from paying dues with proof of enrollment
- 1st year following graduation: Exempt from paying dues
- 2nd year following graduation: $42.50 USD
- Life and Honorary members: Exempt from paying dues
You may pay your dues using one of three methods:
- Check or US money order: Send a check or USD money order (made out to AAVN and in US dollars) to AAVN, 302 Pearl Street #108, Providence, RI 02907.
- Pay by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express): Provide Jen Gazdacko or Betsy Grenier, Executive Directors, with the credit card number, expiration date, security code, name on the card, and the zip code of the billing address. The transaction will be processed through Square and you will be notified with a receipt and date of transaction.
- Use PayPal: Click on “new user” and register and select ”personal payment”. Enter the correct amount (see annual membership fees above) and Dr. Amand’s e-mail address: Wbamand@aol.com. Be sure to include the name of the member to whom payment should be credited.
AAVN Life Members:
- Wilbur Amand
- Sarah Abood
- Tony Buffington
- Dave Dzanis
- Michael Hand
- Tom Herdt
- Richard Hill
- Thomas Hurt
- Francis Kallfelz
- Dottie Laflamme
- Ben Norman
- Rebecca Remillard
- Quinton Rogers
- Robert Van Saun